Britons urged to leave Libyan city of Benghazi over 'threat'
January 24, 2013, 13:31 GMT
The September attack on the US consulate in Benghazi drew international condemnation
British nationals should leave the Libyan city of Benghazi immediately "in response to a specific threat to Westerners", the Foreign Office says.
It said the British Embassy in Tripoli had been in contact with British nationals whose details it had.
It said it could not comment further on the nature of the threat, but said there was new travel advice for Libya.
The Foreign Office has been advising against travel to Benghazi and most parts of Libya since September.
BBC world affairs correspondent Caroline Hawley said that after the recent French military intervention in Mali there was the possibility of retaliatory attacks against Western interests.
On 11 September, US ambassador Chris Stevens and three other Americans died during an attack on the consulate in Benghazi.
The ambassador died of smoke inhalation when he was trapped in the burning building, after armed men had stormed the compound.
): Have Your Say >>
Foreign experts join Kenya forensic hunt
Nairobi attack: Kenya mourns Westgate siege victims
Kenya shopping centre siege 'over'
Kenyan forces comb Westgate site
Kenyan forces 'storm Westgate centre'
Scores dead in Nigeria after Boko Haram 'ambush' in Borno
Nigeria's Boko Haram unrest: Scores killed in Borno state
ICC judge warns Kenyan bloggers
Brotherhood spokesman Gehad al-Haddad 'held' in Egypt
Zambia postpones same-sex conduct trial
Tools & Features
Audio on Demand
Joyonline on Twitter
Joyonline on Facebook
Joyonline on Youtube
Advertise with Us
© Copyright 2012 Myjoyonline.com All Rights Reserved.