Undercover agent in al-Qaeda bomb plot 'was British'
August 10, 2012, 20:27 GMT
The man who foiled a Yemen-based al-Qaeda "underwear bomb" plot is reported to have been a British man of Middle Eastern origin, according to US media.
UK officials declined to comment on the reports, but earlier this week the US said foreign agencies were involved in the operation.
The agent was sent by al-Qaeda to attack a US-bound plane, but left Yemen and gave the device to US intelligence.
The US insists the bomb never posed a threat to the public.
The BBC's Paul Adams, in Washington, says it is unorthodox for intelligence agencies to disclose details about each others' operations.
If true, the revelations about the undercover agent could raise eyebrows in UK intelligence agencies.
The agent is now reportedly safe in Saudi Arabia and FBI analysts are studying the device.
): Have Your Say >>
Militants 'hired Kenyan mall shop'
UN adopts Syria chemical resolution
Syria chemical weapons: UN discusses Syria draft text
Kenyan terrorist attack: Interpol seeks UK woman's arrest
Charles Taylor loses appeal
Iran wants nuclear deal in months, says President Rouhani
Obama: "I haven't smoked in 6 years because I'm scared of my wife"
Nairobi attack: Kenya forces 'control all floors' of Westgate mall
Barclays Bank computer theft: Eight held over £1.3m haul
Nairobi Westgate attack: Fresh gunfire inside complex
Tools & Features
Audio on Demand
Joyonline on Twitter
Joyonline on Facebook
Joyonline on Youtube
Advertise with Us
© Copyright 2012 Myjoyonline.com All Rights Reserved.